You don’t want to lose your iPhone. You don’t want to lose it even if you have an Android or Windows Phone device.
Is there any way you could track your device yourself without seeking the help of the authorities?
Yes there is a way, as you will learn in this guide.
We will provide you a step by step guide for each mobile OS.
How to Find your Android Phone?
You can track your Android device by configuring the settings from your Device Manager. Use the following steps:
- Open Google Settings app (this is different from your phone’s Settings app)
- Open Security (this will open the Device Manager)
- Enable 2 options – 1) Remotely Locate This Device 2) Allow Remote Lock & Erase
- Open Google Settings app again
- Select Location
- Look for Google Location History within Location Services and switch it on
Once this is done, you can track this phone (if it is lost) using the following 2 methods:
1) If the phone remains switched on after being lost, it can be tracked by visiting android.com/devicemanager from any other device. Log in to your Google account.
You will be able to find the location of your phone on map. Device Manager will also allow you to:
- Lock out the phone
- Wipe out its contents
- Ring the phone
2) If you find that your Android device is switched off, go to google.com/settings/accounthistory and check its location history. You can easily find its last located point.
- Open google.com/settings/accounthistory
- Open Places
- Tap Manager History
Use these above-mentioned tips to find your Android phone.
How to Find your iPhone?
If you have an iPhone, make sure that it is setup with Find My iPhone. How to turn on this option? Use the following steps:
- Enter Settings
- Open iCloud
- Enable the option Find My iPhone by scrolling down
- Again go to Settings
- Open Privacy and then Location Services and enable it
Now if your device is lost, sign in to your iCloud.com account and go to Find My iPhone.
If you have several iOS devices, choose the lost device. It will then display a map with the last location of the phone. You can then:
- Lock the device entirely
- Wipe out its contents
- Sound an alarm
How to Find your Windows Phone?
You can also set the security features in your Windows Phone device to track it if it is lost. Use the following steps to activate it:
- Go to the home screen and swipe right (this will open the apps list)
- Scroll down and choose Settings
- Look for Privacy and open it
- Look for Location and enable it (usually it is enabled by default)
- Tap on Find my Phone
- Enable “Save my phone’s location periodically and before battery runs out….”
If your Windows Phone device is lost, just sign in to your account by visiting account.microsoft.com/devices.
Open Find My Phone option in front of the phone that you misplaced.
It will display a map with the last location of the device. You can also lock, wipe content or ring the phone.