How To Update Sony Xperia Z1 To Android Lollipop 5
Sony has managed to please the high end segment of Android users with its flagship Xperia Z series of handsets released in the last few years.
The Xperia Z1 is among those premium Android devices released by the Japanese giant that is used by millions worldwide.
Released commercially in September 2014, the Z1 drew critical acclaim and huge response owing to its excellent camera, dust and waterproof capability and beefy hardware.
The device was launched with Android Jelly Bean initially and Sony rolled out the Kitkat update later.
While it will receive the Lollipop update as per the latest news- you can update your Z1 to the latest Google OS earlier using AOSP ROM.
AOSP ROM for Xperia Z1
After Google unveiled the source code for Android 5.0 Lollipop OS a few months back, Sony made available the Android Open Source Project variant of Lollipop for its Z series handsets.
Sony also asked the Android developers to make custom ROM on the source code. The AOSP Rom for Xperia Z1 is now available.
However, the developers say the custom ROM may not let you use all features of the handset.
Things to check before updating Xperia Z1 to Lollipop 5 Based On AOSP ROM
To ensure the update does not hit a roadblock, you have to check a few things carefully:
- Enable its USB Debugging feature.
- The device boot loader must be in unlocked condition.
- Ensure the device is charged at 80 percent capacity or more.
- The device should be rooted. Without rooting third party ROM based OS update cannot be installed on it.
- Do not forget backing up important data in the phone using apps in Google Play.
- It is important that the PC to be used for this update is equipped with the newest Xperia Z1 drivers.
Files to be downloaded
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Gapps
- Fastboot Files
- Xperia Z1 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop AOSP ROM
Ways to update the Xperia Z1 to Lollipop using AOSP ROM
- At first, Fastboot_Files.zip should be extracted to a folder.
- Then copy the “system.img” and “boot.img” files to that folder.
- Next, connect the Smartphone with the PC via the USB cable.
- Now, find the folder with “Fastboot Files” and run command prompt there. To do this, hold-press Shift and right click with mouse. You will get an option to run command prompt.
- Type in the command:
And it will result in a pop up in the Z1. You need to click ok.
- To make the device get into bootloader mode, type the command:
adb reboot bootloader
- As the Z1 gets into bootloader mode, you need to flash “boot.img” followed by “system.img”. Type the codes:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
adb reboot recovery
- After getting into recovery mode, choose the options: wipe data/factory reset, followed by wipe cache partition and finally Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- After that, choose the options “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”. Select the Gapps_Lollipop.zip and install it.
- Reboot the device after installation. This reboot can take a few minutes to complete, as it is. The device should run Android 5.0.2 Lollipop AOSP ROM.
Recommended:- How to backup data from iPhone to computer
Summing it up
It is true that the AOSP build of Lollipop is not equivalent of Stock Android Lollipop that Sony is about to roll out for Xperia Z1.
You may miss some features and a few handset features may not work with it. However, users eager to get the Lollipop experience should opt for this custom ROM.