Do you want to upgrade from your existing Shared Hosting package? If you want to upgrade to Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting, you should consider some factors to ensure that you are making the right decision. Here are 3 key factors that cannot be ignored when choosing the best Virtual Server Hosting for your website(s).
1. Consider Your Needs
Evaluate your resource needs and then opt for a Virtual Server Hosting provider that offers the right resources to match those needs. The most important resources that will be affecting your site’s performance include:
- RAM: Does the web host’s plans offer more than enough memory for your website(s) requirements? It is the RAM where the web pages and data get cached for further use. The more the RAM, the more the data that can be cached. At the same time, you should also prefer the fastest RAM technologies currently available, such as DDR3 and DDR4 SDRAM.
- Storage Space: When evaluating storage, you should consider both the volume and type of storage offered by the host. You should choose a plan with a large volume of storage space if you will be hosting large-sized files. At the same time, it is recommended to choose SSD-based drives for more speed. It will further contribute to speeding up your site’s performance.
- CPU: Asses how ‘busy’ your site is when considering your processor needs. If you have a dynamic site with high volume of database requests or if advanced processing is required, you should choose a VPS plan with the required number of cores and processing power. So if your site is going to draw lots of traffic, you should choose a host and/or plan that offer higher processing power.
Besides these resources, you should also consider the control panel user interface (UI) (if you are choosing a managed Virtual Server Hosting). If you are not an advanced user, it is ideal to choose a host that offers an easy-to-use and intuitive control panel. Even experienced users should avoid a VPS plan/host with a heavy and slow UI. Many website owners will not consider this factor, but it is going to make a lot of difference when it comes to your account management.
2. Evaluate the Hosting Service
Once you have determined the resources you need, the next step is to search for VPS providers that meet those needs. Find several hosts that meet your criteria and then evaluate them based on the following factors:
- Uptime Guarantee: Look for only those Virtual Server Hosting providers that guarantee their uptime. The uptime guarantee shouldn’t be less than 99.9%. There are many reasons why you would want to choose VPS hosting over shared hosting and reliability is the most important of them.
- Reputation: Ensure you find out what other clients have to say about a web host and their plans when evaluating their services. The best way to learn about a host’s reputation is to check their customers’ reviews. Look for genuine reviews from real users who are similar to you and find out if the host’s VPS plans helped address their needs and meet their expectations.
- Customer Support: Whether you are going to choose a managed or unmanaged Virtual Server Hosting plan, make sure to choose a provider that offers excellent support with quick response time. You can learn a lot about a host’s support quality from client reviews. Choose a company that offers 24/7 technical support through at least live chat and with short turnaround times.
3. Managed or Unmanaged VPS
Another important aspect of Virtual Server Hosting is choosing between fully-managed and unmanaged hosting. This decision should be taken based on your past experience in managing servers and your expertise. If you have never managed a server before, keep in mind that it is not a simple task and requires configuring and managing everything from performance to security.
If you have the expertise and are assured that you will not need any technical support except for the initial setup, you can choose unmanaged or self-managed VPS service. It is going to be more affordable and can give you more control. If you do not have previous experience in managing a virtual private server or if you don’t have any experienced professional on your team, you should choose only a fully-managed VPS service.
So make sure you consider all these points when deciding on the best Virtual Server Hosting provider and plan to address your needs. Besides the resources, you should also consider the company’s reputation. Needless to say, a company with a good reputation will deliver what’s promised.